Watermelon Salad with an Asian Twist
A surprising combination of flavours and textures, this is watermelon salad comes with a sweet, tangy and umami taste, is protein-rich because of the tofu addition, and it's bathed in a delicious ginger peanut butter dressing, making a great summer treat.
- For the salad
- 1/4 medium peeled watermelon about 2 cups flesh and cut into cubes (loved this idea from The Kitchn)
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup red cabbage grated
- 1 avocado peeled and cut into slices
- 1 large cucumber diced
- 2 green onions diced
- 5-6 fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup pistachio lightly toasted, crushed
- 1/2 cup extra-firm tofu cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- For the dressing
- 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup water
Add the dressing ingredients into the blender and pulse to obtain a creamy mixture.
Transfer into a jar and refrigerate.
Heat the coconut oil into a non-stick skillet, and add the tofu cubes.
Cook over medium heat about 10 minutes, stirring frequently until golden on each side.
Transfer into a bowl and set aside.
In a medium bowl combine the spinach, avocado, cabbage, cucumber and green onions.
Top with the watermelon and tofu cubes, drizzle the sauce, garnish with fresh mint leaves and crushed pistachio and serve!