Spiced Cauliflower Burger with Sauerkraut
A wonderfully flavored veggie burger, served with red cabbage sauerkraut and packed in a whole wheat bun for a nourishing, tasty family dinner.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 1 medium cauliflower head cut into florets, rinsed and drained
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 galic cloves minced
- 1/2 inch ginger knob peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup quinoa cooked (makes about 1 cup)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- 2 tsp nigella seeds
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs or 1 tbsp ground flax for the vegan version
- To assemble:
- Whole wheat buns
- *Optional: Greek yogurt with lemon and garlic, massaged kale, red cabbage sauerkraut, avocado
Heat the coconut oil into a cast iron skillet, add the onion, garlic, ginger and spices, mix to combine and cook until the onion becomes translucent, stirring frequently.
Add the cauliflower florets, and cook for ten minutes, stirring every now and then.
Transfer into the food processor, together with the cooked quinoa, eggs/flax, salt and cayenne, and pulse to obtain a sticky mixture (don't over-process to make sure you don't get a mushy texture).
Shape the burgers using your palms, and line them on a plate.
Heat a little coconut oil into the skillet, add the burgers, cook until golden on one side, then flip over and cook until golden. (You can also bake into the oven at 175°C/347°F for 20 mins).
Assemble and serve warm.