There’s one thing that vegans seem to master in the kitchen, and that’s any kind of vegan chocolate. This vegan chocolate cake is a guilt-free pleasure, as it boasts its own health benefits, which is a long way from anything you’ll find on a supermarket shelf!
By using cacao, you’re able to take advantage of some 300 active compounds, which all serve to protect and boost your health. In particular, cacao has an impressive array of antioxidants, which have been a huge focus in our modern day diet, as they help to protect against free radical damage.
This is caused by a poor diet, chemicals used in our households, and even stress. Rushing through life without taking the time to reverse the damage caused through these many burdens, is just how disease forms in the body. This is one of the key reasons why cacao has exploded in the health world.
Cacao is mood boosting, raises serotonin and increases relaxation. This dark little powder also boasts high levels of iron, magnesium and B vitamins. You simply can’t go past any recipe that contains cacao!
Avocados are a great source of vitamin B5, which along with cacao makes for a great combination for the vegan diet, as most B vitamins are obtained from animal sources. For this reason, many vegans have B vitamin deficiencies. You can find a unique range of healthy fats in avocados, including omega 6 and oleic acid. These fats have been shown to reduce inflammation in the body. You will also find many other nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin E, potassium and fiber throughout creamy avocados.
By using buckwheat flour, it offers much higher protein than other flours, along with a higher nutrient count. Buckwheat is loaded with magnesium, copper and manganese and is also a great source of antioxidants. Its high fiber levels can help by improving digestion, making it the perfect dessert treat after a full meal.
The benefits of almond milk have been well documented, and contains up to 50% less calories than cow’s milk. Almond milk teams up with cacao and avocado to provide you with even more antioxidants, especially from the high content of vitamin E.
So if you’re searching for an easy, gorgeous looking and guilt-free vegan chocolate cake recipe, you’re in the right place!
Vegan Chocolate Cake, Simple and Delicious
- For the cake
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 5 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 ripe avocado peeled, pitted and mashed
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 4 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 cup almond milk
- For the frosting
- 1 cup vegan dark chocolate chopped
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- To garnish
- Fresh blueberries raw cacao powder, chopped chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 175C/346F.
- Grease and flour a round baking pan.
- Mix the dry ingredients (flours, baking soda and baking powder, cacao powder, salt) into a large bowl, then add the wet ingredients and mix to combine.
- Transfer the mixture into the baking pan and bake for 40 minutes (use a toothpick to check, if you insert it in the cake and it comes out clean, it's ready!).
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool into the pan, before removing.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chocolate frosting.
- Heat the almond milk into a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the coconut oil and dark chocolate, turn the heat to low, and stir until the chocolate melts completely.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes, then remove and spread it over the chocolate cake.