It’s that moment again! The one of vibrant colors, splashes of ice cold water, dancing shades of tree leaves, one of inconstant flashes of beauty as Jep Gambardella used to say in my favorite movie, La Grande Belezza. I’ve been waiting for this moment all year long and although I do a lot of things throughout the year, it’s only now when I feel I’m really alive and free.
And ice cream is a perfect way to celebrate the best moments of our lives. Simple, easy, refreshing, just like everything needs to be during summer days. This healthy mango ice cream recipe makes no exception!
I first learned about nice cream from the lovely Tuulia a couple of years ago, and it’s been very rare that I use my ice cream machine ever since. My boyfriend likes his ice cream the classic way, with eggs and cream, and for him only I put the machine in use. As for me, mixing frozen fruits in my food processor and adding creamy coconut milk is all I need to keep things cool.
This season’s first ice cream is also a very easy combination. Let’s just say frozen mango for flavor, honey or maple syrup for sweetness, coconut milk for creaminess and turmeric for a vibrant yellow. Add a splash of pureed blueberries and up it goes in the freezer. Ready!
Mango is a great fruit for eating in the summer as it contains high concentrations of antioxidants that support your body cells during the high temperature stress. Also, its vitamin A content keeps your skin and hair moisturized, while its vitamin C stimulates collagen production, a good advantage against summer dehydration and skin dryness, and its high potassium load keeps your alkalinity in check.
Pairing vitamins and minerals packed fruits, especially yellow ones loaded with beta-carotene, with healthy fats like the ones in coconut milk ensures the nutrients are better absorbed and you get the maximum from your fruit intake.
That’s it for this recipe! Enjoy!
For more inspiration on your nice cream experiments of this summer, make sure you check my Creamy Peach and Walnut Ice Cream, my Non-Dairy Ice Cream Pops, or my Coconut Ice Cream with Salted Pecans.
Mango Ice Cream Pops
- 2 ripe mango fruits peeled, pitted and frozen (I had frozen fruits in the freezer, but you can use fresh as well)
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- Add the frozen mango into the food processor with the coconut milk, and process to obtain a smooth puree.
- Add turmeric and pulse to incorporate.
- Divide the mixture into the popsicle molds.
- Add the rest of the coconut milk with the maple syrup into the blender, and process.
- Evenly pour the mixture on top of the mango puree.
- Add the blueberries into the blender and pulse to obtain a chunky puree.
- Evenly pour on top of the pops.
- Add the ice cream sticks and freeze for at least 5 hours before serving.
Leave a Reply